Good Posture and Your Spine Health
Maintaining proper posture is an easy but crucial technique to protect the health of your spine and back. Good posture and back support are essential for lowering the incidence and intensity of back pain and neck pain. In order to have good posture, you must teach your body to stand, walk, and sit in positions that put the least amount of stress on the muscles and ligaments that support you throughout these activities.
Posture while sitting
Many of us are prone to sit for long hours at our desk, without realising the strain we are causing to our back. There are ways for us to ensure that we are keeping a good posture while sitting, to minimise the occurrence and intensity of back pain.
- Ensure that your back is adjusted against the back of the chair. Try not to slouch or lean forward, as this will cause a strain to your shoulders and lower back
- When sitting for long hours on an office chair, it will be best to make sure that the chair is ergonomically designed to properly support the back and that it is a custom fit
- Rest both your feet flat on the floor. If you are not able to reach the floor comfortably, adjust the height of your chair, or use a foot rest.
- Sit in the office chair with shoulders straight
- Try not to sit too long in one place, even if you have an ergonomic chair. It is good to stand up and walk around, get some stretches when needed.
Posture while standing and walking
Most toddlers start walking as early as 2 year olds, it is not uncommon for parents to try and correct their posture while at it. But how many of us, as adults, are standing and walking with the best posture.
- Stand straight and throw your shoulders back, maintaining an upright position
- Keep feet slightly apart, about shoulder-width
- Avoid locking your knees
- Tuck your chin in a little to keep head level
- If you need to stand for a long duration, shift the weight from one foot to the other,
- When walking, keep your head up and look straight ahead
- Avoid pushing the head forward
- Keep your shoulders properly aligned with the rest of your body
Posture while driving
- For the best back support, lean firmly against the seat.
- To prevent stooping or reaching, the seat should be properly spaced from the pedals and steering wheel.
- To maintain the head's upright position, the headrest should support the middle of the head. Tilt the headrest forward if possible to make sure that the head-to-headrest distance is not more than four inches.
While sharing these tips on how to maintain a good posture, whether you are sitting, standing or driving - it is also easy to slouch into an unhealthy posture or position. This results in a strain on your lower back, and also causes stiff shoulders. Using a small pillow or a lumbar support can help alleviate the pain and tiredness on your back.
The Guardian Lumbar Support Latex Cushion by Getha, is a multi-functional cushion that is ergonomically designed to provide support for the lower back (lumbar area), highly recommended for individuals who sit for a long time. It is also popular among pregnant women and those who suffer from back pain or injury. Most seats do not fit the natural contour of the spine, leaving a gap that results in lack of lumbar support and pressure on the lower spine.
The Lumbar Support Latex Cushion is designed to fill this gap, alleviating lower back pain while improving body posture. The cushion is easy to carry around to be placed in car seats, on office chairs and home sofas. It can also be used to sit or kneel during mediation and prayer for ultimate comfort and support. Comes with a removable cover, the Lumbar Support Latex Cushion is convenient to wash and care for.
Features of Lumbar Support Latex Cushion:
- Recommended to be used in car seats, sofas, chairs and on the ground
- Ideal for those who sit for a long time
- Popular among pregnant ladies and those who suffer from back pain or injury
- Fits the natural contour of the spine to reduce pressure on the lower back (lumbar area)
- Alleviates lower back pain and improves body posture
- Portable and easy to carry around
- Naturally resistant of allergens, microorganisms and dust mites
- Breathable and ventilated
- Toxic free, biodegradable and sustainable
- Long-lasting, superior support and comfort
- Made of Getha 100% natural latex